Web 2.0 has greatly affected education and the way teachers and students teach and learn. I've decided to compile a list of my favorite web 2.0 sites for education, all are great examples of educational leadership. However, I'm focusing strictly on sites that have an educational portal//instance. What I mean by this is that each site has a section for teachers or a way of controlling the content that students produce. This can be done either by educational accounts, monitoring by teachers, filtering, etc etc. Most of these sites are free but can offer more services via paid subscription...
Top 25 Web 2.0 Sites for Education
- Google/Gaggle - Google Apps are some of the most popular services for document creation and collaboration. Also, the suite of tools that Google Apps covers is quite abundant such as: web page creation, groups, spreadsheets, etc. Gaggle has a great suite of filtered tools (check out their collaboration w/ Zoho) to make ideal for education. Gaggle allows for filtered blogging, chatting, messaging boards, and filtered videos in You Tube, etc.
- Edmodo - A wonderful free site that creates an educational environment for students that focuses on skills such as blogging and collaboration.
- Glogster - A great multi-media site for creating interactive posters that can be viewed online. Plus, student accounts can be created by an educator w/out the need of a student email!!
- Voice Thread - One of the most popular web 2.0 sites around. An ideal site for creating interactive presentations/slide shows.
- Myths & Legends - A free site that is wonderful for digital storytelling. All a teacher has to do is get approval from a school administrator to sign a school up for this great service!!
- Animoto - Create dynamic slide shows w/ one of the most popular slide show creators on the web!!
- Mixbook - A great way to create a safe & secure environment for students to create online or real books (for order).
- Prezi - The evolution of presentations has arrived w/ this zoomable presentation creator. Also, there is an educational portal in the works.
- Aviary Education - A safe secure way that offers a lot of different services for students such as: photo editor, audio editor, and movie creator.
- Diigo - An ideal site for social bookmarking that allows teachers to create student account for sharing and annotating links.
- Weebly - A fantastic site for creating a student or teacher websites w/ the ability to blog.
- ToonDoo Spaces - One of the best online comic creators that allows for student accounts.
- Kidblog - One of the top ways for students to create blogs in a safe environment.
- Primary Access - A nice site for digital story telling that allows students to use a variety of different resources such as video, audio, photos, etc.
- Zoho Wiki - Similar to Google Apps, this online suite offers a secure way for students to create docs and share.
- Kerpoof - A multi-media site for creating stories, games, lessons, etc.
- Zimmertwins - A fun site for digital storytelling that is done by creating one student account for a class.
- SymbalooEdu - A great visual way for teachers to share sites and resources w/ students.
- Pixton - An excellent way to create online digital comics that is moderated by a teacher.
- Zunal - A fantastic webquest creator for teachers.
- Alice Storytelling - One of the best ways to learn about the basics of programming as well as digital storytelling (a free pc download).
- Story Jumper - A great way for students to create real or online stories and then have the ability to order a book.
- Storybird - A fun site for collaborative and digital storytelling.
- Magic Studio - A wonderful site for teachers to share multimedia resources w/ students.
- Museum Box - A great historical site for teachers and students to create multimedia projects.
Soon to follow is a free slide show on the Top 25 Web 2.o sites!!!