Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Top 10 Sites for Creating Digital Magazines and Newspapers

In my never ending quest to find useful "top 10" lists, I was inspired on Twitter to create one for digital magazines/newspapers. While this is something that can be done in any word processor, there are dedicated sites that bring this to a whole new level.

Top 10 sites for Creating Digital Magazines/Newspapers
  1. Iussu - One of the most popular and successful online digital magazine creators/publishers around, w/ a very nice user interface.
  2. Yudu - Upload a document or PDF to create an online magazine that can be emailed our or embedded into a site.
  3. Openzine - Very user friendly site w/ an abundance of templates and layouts to create a professional looking magazine and share online.
  4. NewsCred - Create a terrific looking online newspaper in 5 minutes, similar to Openzine.
  5. Scribd - A very popular "web 2.0" site for creating online content and publishing.
  6. Fodey - A fun site to create a newspaper and then download to print out or put on a blog/site.
  7. Zinepal - A great way to bring the news to students by "clipping" online articles. This is a wonderful site for those making the move to ebook readers.
  8. Paper.li - A fantastic site to turn Twitter into an online readable magazine.
  9. Guzzle.it - Is a news aggregator that puts online news in one customizable place.
  10. Crayon - Create a professional looking newspaper w/ this nice online creator. There are a bunch of options to choose from so has a bit of a higher learning curve.

13 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic "Top 10" List and it could not come at a better time. The beginning of the school year. I am always looking for new resources to share with my students and colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list, but what's your criteria for those entries? Looks like you only included free or low-market tools. There's a lot of other strong vendors in the market with added functionality, integration options, advanced analytics.
    I represent Zmags who is one of them. Pleas reach out if you want to look out for more or want more details from this industry.

    Thanks,
    Joakim Ditlev
    Zmags

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Joakim. Decent list, but it doesn't feature vendors that are selling more sophisticated solutions.

    Check out the company I work for, mygazines:http://www.mygazines.com/home

    You may also find our resource page quite useful:http://www.mygazines.com/webinars

    Audrey, mygazines
    416-900-3830 ext 2005

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to email you, but could not find a link. I saw your Top 10 Sites for Creating Surveys list in T&L mag.
    I disagreed with all of your choices except Obsurvey, and that one has some issues- including it may cost money soon.
    You should check out the simple, free and unlimited site: www.kwiksurveys.com
    It has it all and is free. Your list is full of sites that cost money, are limited to only a few questions, responders or surveys and are for only one question, invitation or text msg.
    One of the links (runpolls) does not even work.
    Thanks for the effort; do some more thorough research next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi its really very nice blog,very useful information..Mobiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nate, I just wanted to say, I respect and appreciate your opinion and will try to be more accurate in the future. However, I do feel that any list is going to be objective and these are just my opinions; others will be different.

    I'm really just trying to get the creative juices flowing for people and give them sites that I think are useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really just trying to get the creative juices flowing for people and give them sites that I think are useful.This is a fantastic "Top 10" List and it could not come at a better time. The beginning of the school year. I am always looking for new resources to share with my students and colleagues.please add some use full links like these
    HP LAPTOPS
    EMERGENCY PHONE


    trinity
    electricals


    CABLE GLAND

    ReplyDelete
  8. or www.DHEMedia.eu , which has a very special approach in database driven publications

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your efforts to create a detailed top 10/25/100 lists are laudable. many thanks for the same . I am not an educator
    but i help a few students in their studies and they find some of the free sites very useful.

    I wish you, your associates and your family a very Prosperous and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With PressPad you can create magazine mobile apps right from your PDF http://www.presspadapp.com/ It is not only a publishing solution supporting iOS and Android but also a marketing platform which helps monetize. Would be fantastic to join TOP 11 :-)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very good and informative article indeed. It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge, I really like the way the writer presented his views.
    Technology magazines

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and reading my blog!!